Thursday, May 22, 2008

Liz touches down...

Great news! The Liz has landed...one small step for the team, one giant leap for...well nevermind.

To no one's surprise Liz's first e-mail is enthusiastic and hopeful. Her tireless spirit is inspiring, and yet a little scary- 6AM walks? Contacts made on the airplane? Lunch with someone from Selam Village? A tour for potential housing? ALL ON DAY 1. We wish lots of luck to our Cherokee friends who have to keep up with her.
I think we are going to have to sprint off the airplane just to keep up her pace.

In other news John is responding to a long list of e-mails and weighing in on our initial approach in Addis...he's in Wisconsin with family and will stop in Cairo prior to heading to Ethiopia. We have decided to stay together as a team in the beginning before we split up to work with the beneficiaries. John is fine with not getting a translator until we arrive and will brave public transportation and life in Addis on his own. We hope his inner compass will guide him to an internet cafe so he can let us know that he has arrived safely. I suspect that he too will make friends on the airplane as one of the VERY FEW non-Ethiopians traveling to Addis Ababa.

Anxiously we weigh items and pack...I've managed to "hustle" a suitcase full of donated kids clothing, sporting equipment, and school supplies for any visits with AIDS orphans. TROSA has given me the pick of their warehouse for anything that I may need. In addition after scouring the internet I found books of North Carolina Postcards that might be good host/hostess gifts but it's hard to know what to take. To further complicate matters we are running up against stubborn airlines that are enforcing new luggage restrictions starting 6/1, just 7 days before we leave. I hope we can carry the supplies that Andy Warren asked us to, the gifts that we wanted to bring, and a couple of bare necessities.

With Liz already there, and so excited to be back, I can't wait to get there myself.

No comments: